Friday, September 3, 2010

Welcome to 8th Grade Language A

Parents and Students,

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and tell you something about this year's curriculum.

My name is Kevin Morrissey and I have been an English teacher with the district for nine years.
In those nine years I have worked solely in this building and with this community.
My wife and I live in the city and have two children, one of whom attends Rochester City Schools (the little guy's too young but he'll go to 23).

The curriculum for Wilson Foundation has changed a bit, so I have linked two sites if you would like to educate yourself on the programs that will be the driving for behind your child's education.

The first is the International Baccalaureate Program (http://www.ibo.org/myp/index.cfm).
This is a new program to the Foundation.
It is not so much what your child will be learning, but how they will be learning.
The program is based in ten learner profiles (http://www.ibo.org/myp/index.cfm) that your child will be learning in the first month of school.
Please ask them about what they have learned about these profiles.

The second is Springboard (http://professionals.collegeboard.com/k-12/prepare/springboard/about). This is what will be taught and though much of the curriculum is only accessible to teachers, the link will give you a general idea of what is being taught.

If you have any other questions at any time during the year, please e-mail me at
kevin.morrissey@rcsdk12.org.


I look forward to an inspiring year of teaching.

Kevin Morrissey

No comments: